I don't recall reading anything in the adoption books about "girl drama". Lizet came home with a strongly worded letter from another girl asking if she's decided whose BFF she's going to be. A three-page letter!
When I picked up my middle-schoolers the other day, I wore Xavi's dilation sunglasses from his eye doctor visit. He and Angela were both fighting laughter, but when Xavi got in the front seat, he tore them off my face, yelling, "¡Mamá!" I told Lizet later what I had done and she smiled and said, "That's what I love about you, Mom. You're so fun and funny - other mothers are so serious."
Lizet has given Fletcher the name Husband, as many of you know. But today, she started calling him Lucky Ducky since he gets to ride with us to school.
Xavi loves breakfast for dinner, so I established "huevos los jueves," or Eggs on Thursdays. He looks so forward to breakfast-for-dinner day.
Lizet came up with "new technology". We asked what this new technology is and she showed us that she is beginning to hide her candy in her music and jewelry box. So now, anytime someone snatches her candy, the dancing ballerina lets her know. Clever girl.
Every other Friday, Lizet's school has a fundraiser called Popcorn and Pickle day. She takes a couple dollars for this HUGE dill pickle enclosed in a vacuum-sealed package with all the juices, which she loves to drink, and a small popcorn. I didn't have change one day so I gave her a five dollar bill. She was so excited, I received about fifty kisses. As she approached kiss number thirty, she stopped and asked if she could finish later since her lips were tired.
I made a big mistake... I introduced my children to Starbucks!
Dave and I discovered a restaurant in Tulsa - a South American restaurant called Mi Tierra. It features foods from Peru, among other South American countries. It also has a market. The kids were speechless - well not Lizet. Lizet is never at a loss for words. Our waitress was from Peru and dressed in the traditional attire. The girls had their favorite drink, Chicha Morada, while Xavi and Dave had lucuma juice. We had a variety of Peruvian dishes; lomo saltado, tacu tacu, relleno de pollo, and plantains. Our waitress asked us if we were familiar with Peruvian instruments and I said, "Xavi can play the zampoña!" She immediately went to get one and Xavi, sitting across from me begins repeating, "Ma, please. Please, Ma." I guess it's official. I know how to embarrass my children.
Of my children, Xavier is my vegetable eater. He will even eat turnip greens! The girls seem to only eat them if they are in a casserole with cheese or in a soup. The day I made buttermilk cornbread, black-eyed peas, and turnip greens, the girls asked me if they were being punished.
I walked in the girls' room one day and Angela was wearing my wedding veil. She asked what it was and I told her. She asked if she could wear it one day... Yikes! That question came fast!! She looked beautiful in it, too.
We found a cool activity in town! The Rock is a fun place for youth which is operated as a ministry. It has Wiis, arcade games, billiards, and skate boarding ramps. BIG skate boarding ramps. Xavi took his board and helmet and had a blast! This 40-year-old woman even ran up the ramp three times to join my girls, sliding down on burlap sacks... FUN! I'm thrilled I was able to get Angela to do it, too. After a few tries, she did it solo. After pizza, sodas, and cookies, we were ready to head home.
We are waiting on snow... Expecting 14" tonight!
No comments:
Post a Comment