Friday, March 4, 2011

This and That

Xavi had such a great day at school today;  then, when he got in the car, I told him I set up the Play Station for him.  This made him even happier.  Then, he asked what we were having for dinner... I told him corny dogs.  He said, "Wow! This is the best day!!"  

They didn't think they would, but it turns out they DO love Mary Poppins, Annie, and The Parent Trap (the original)!

On our way to pick up pizzas, Angela, Lizet, and I saw this adorable little dog running along several yards.  We pulled over, and this well-kept, collar-free pup joined us.  We went to get our pizzas and I realized it was too late to go to a vet clinic to have this dog scanned for a chip.  My next thought was that I do not want to take home a dog, especially one that so evidently belongs to a family. Lizet was in agreement with me that we needed to reunite him with his family.  Angela on the other hand, wanted to keep him.  After picking up our food, I decided to go back to the street where we found him.  I went to the houses with cars in the driveways, to see if this dog looked familiar. Some said no, but one said to try the house on the corner.  We did, and sure enough he pointed us in the direction of the house across the street.  We learned from the owner that it was a Pomeranian/Chihuahua mix - or, a Pomehuahua.  The owner was thrilled to have Oliver back in her arms.  Lizet thought it would be a good idea to tell one of those who helped us (and who seemed concerned) that we found its owner.  This elderly woman was so appreciative that we came back to tell her and naturally, Lizet said good-bye with a hug.

Angela was grooming Fletcher one day;  brushing, combing, and cleaning his eyes.  While doing so she was talking to him in English.  I came in (after listening at the door) and said, "Angela, your English is beautiful, but why are you talking to Fletcher in English?"  Her response... "He doesn't speak Spanish."

Lizet has been working on (actually they all have) avoiding giving her siblings "the finger".  Dave told her any time you want to give someone the finger, just imagine it in your head.  So, a few days later, she was really frustrated with the fact that Xavi now has more money than she has in the bank.  This of course is due to his birthday money.  She told him she was upset with him for having sixteen more dollars than she has and "there is a finger in my head."

One of our very special friends who the kids call Tía Annie, came to visit us from Texas. She gave Lizet a DS game - Cooking Mama.  What makes this funny is because every time she plays this game, she has to go put on her Kiss the Cook apron. She's always prepared.

One night we had a terrible storm;  lightening, thunder, heavy rain.  The kids seem to love it, but it frightened Lizet a bit.  She ran in to me while I was finishing up some things in the kitchen, threw her arms around my waist and said, "I'm scared, Mommy."  I told her (sounding like my mother) that she didn't need to be scared and that it was just the angels bowling. 

Lizet made a 100 on her state capitals test.  She learned all 50 in a couple hours.  She thanked me for helping her study and told me that she thinks I'm such a good teacher since I made flash cards. Ha!  Flash cards DO work!  We even worked on her pronunciation.  She loves to study.  

One night, the girls and I were watching a movie.  Two teenagers were sharing a kiss.  Angela runs to her room and brings back their eye masks, throwing Lizet's to her.  They put them on their heads, ready to pull them down if they saw any more kissing.  Well, it seems they don't want to grow up any faster than I want them to.  Thank goodness!

One evening I was studying for my Bible study class.  Lizet brought me a cup of hot cocoa and four Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies... wearing her apron, of course.  

One afternoon, Xavi was playing Play Station - Resident Evil.  He really enjoys zombies (and seeing their heads explode).  I heard him say, "Oh my God."  I said softly, "Xavi, we don't say God unless we're praying. Are you praying?"  He said, "No, Mom.  Okay."  Then I heard him whisper, "Sorry, Jesus."

The kids and I survived ten days without Daddy.  He had a wonderful trip to Peru, enjoying the children at the Casas.  We received some of our favorite chocolates and the girls got t-shirts; Xavi, a soccer jersey.  And Lizet had prepared a pan of brownies for Daddy.  It was a wonderful homecoming!  
  
We're patiently waiting for the timer to ding to see Angela's new hair color... dark, dark, dark brown.  



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment