Friday, July 30, 2010

Characteristics

We were able to have wonderfully warm showers with actual water pressure this morning.  I was still careful not to get any in my mouth.  I had my morning peach yogurt, while the children had cereal and yogurt.  Dave had coffee.  Cornelia arrived to prepare tacos for lunch and causa de pollo for dinner tonight.  In the meantime, Lizet and I played several games of Uno while the others watched Marmaduke.  The kids love movies with dogs!  Cornelia’s lunch was delicious!  She made flat tacos, but smaller in diameter.  We had two kinds of cheese, cilantro, lettuce, tomatoes, ground beef with diced onions, and guacamole.  She also made rice and beans - the beans tasted like pinto, but were round and seasoned with Peruvian flavors.  It was quite a feast!  After lunch, Xavier began “How To Train Your Dragon” while Angela, Lizet, and I played more Uno, and while Dave went to town to check work e-mails.  During the middle of the movie, Lizet felt they needed a snack.  She went downstairs and returned with a tray of juice glasses filled with Inca Kola and Coca-Cola, a partially opened package of Ritz crackers, and mysteriously found Dave’s hidden crackers by some stroke of magic.  I didn’t let her open those… not until Papí returns, at least.  Lizet likes to drink her Coca-Cola out of a coffee mug and call it café.  The girls wanted me to dance for them, so while they took pictures I danced a little, singing “Bidi Bidi Bom Bom,” a song from Selena.  I’m telling you this because it wouldn’t make sense to mention this: while playing more Uno with the girls, Lizet would burst out singing… bidi bidi bom bom… cada vez…  Aren’t you glad I prefaced this for you?  I thought so.  Lizet also enjoys placing her chest on my feet with my legs bent to help her fly through the air.  (A fond memory I have of my daddy doing with me.)  It’s the little things, isn’t it?  Dave and Lizet walked to the market for more drinks, and apparently, more chocolate.  Dave is quite a softy.  He’s always telling me about laying ground rules, but he’s the first to bend, especially with daughters.  I had to put on the “angry mama face” tonight when the remote control became an issue.  I told them if they couldn’t stop arguing about it, there would be no television and bedtime would be at 7:00.  They’ve been quiet for two hours.  I hated doing that, but I’m glad I did because now I don’t need aspirin. Tonight’s dinner was causa de pollo with a side salad.  Causa de pollo is a beautiful dish; the center is a loaf of cooked and diced chicken, avocado (palta), mayonnaise, diced onion, and finely minced cilantro.  Then, the loaf is covered completely in mashed potatoes.  It is topped with parsley, diced tomatoes and orange bell pepper; finally, chilled.  It is served sliced.  I loved the filling, but it was a bit difficult getting past eating cold mashed potatoes.  Angela is quite affectionate, but loves on me when the others aren’t around.  She’s constantly turning to make sure I’m still in the room and gives me her big, beautiful smile.  Lizet doesn’t seem to kiss me enough!  She loves to kiss every inch of my face, and vice versa.  At bedtime, she pulls me towards her face, guiding my lips to every inch of her face and the hugs… oh those hugs!  Tonight was my first “I love you”… from Lizet.  As she was hugging me goodnight, she said, “Te amo.”  Xavier is becoming more affectionate daily, too.  He hugs me several times a day, when at first, it was only morning and night.  They are all people-pleasers; Angela is the quiet one, but dependable and responsible, Xavier is playful and respectful, and Lizet is loving and obedient.  They truly are all the same, but these are the characteristics that stand out to me the most at this point.              

No comments:

Post a Comment