Saturday, July 24, 2010

Free Day

The girls were up before me this morning, so I got up listening to Spanish cartoons.  What a wonderful sound!  Dave left to go pay for María and Raúl’s hotel and get some groceries at the supermarket.  Naty arrived around 9:30 and we had breakfast.  Xavier said the prayer.  All the children wanted cereal with yogurt, and juice.  Lizet wanted pineapple juice this morning.  The morning conversation revolved around taxis and the fact Bartlesville doesn’t have any.  Everyone has cars, I told them.  They asked how many we have and I told them two.  Their eyes were as big as saucers.  They were each counting down the years as to when they would be able to drive.  I have to say Xavier is super excited!  They are also impressed that I am friends with all the missionaries at Christ Church, or as they know them, the “Roof Dogs”.    As they helped clear the table, Lizet discovered leftover spaghetti in the refrigerator.  She asked if she could finish it since she was still hungry.  She and Xavier shared it.  They wanted Coke Zero for breakfast, but I put my foot down on that one! 

Xavier was so excited to notice our bathtub last night, so he asked if he could take a bath.  I just can’t wait until they get to experience jets in the bathtub!  Angela helped Xavier get a bath going by using buckets of warm water from the sink since the bath faucet is cold.  She is such the mother hen.  She also helped dry off Lizet after her bath.  Angela enjoys a shower, though, and took hers before breakfast.  They were giggling so much in the bathroom, so I asked to enter, and Angela was applying my mascara on Lizet’s lashes.  Angela paid attention yesterday, I guess.  They also made their beds without being told.  One of the funny things is, they wear their shoes or flip-flops once they’ve put on their pajamas in the evening.  I think they are sticking to orphanage rules rather well.  Once we’re home, they’ll learn they don’t need to do that.  In addition, I’ll need to train them to flush the toilet paper, since you can’t do that here.    

This morning, they’ve been watching Madagascar on television, taking turns on Dave’s computer to play games, and just giggling, in general.  They are extremely happy today!  They are in a new comfort zone, so their personalities are really coming through.  Xavier is a caring, protective brother, but also likes to tease them.  It’s cute to watch.  Angela takes care of both of them in different ways, and Lizet is everyone’s special entertainer.  Naty made tacos for lunch, but not like Americans think of tacos.  These were actually better.  She first fried the kind of corn tortillas they have here; they were bigger, and puffed up when she fried them.  They weren’t like chips.  She diced the onions so finely, you could hardly see them in the ground beef, but they added such flavor; she also made a Peruvian version of guacamole, chopped cilantro, finely shredded lettuce, and diced fresh tomatoes.  She also made rice to go with it all.  For dessert, we had a fruit salad of watermelon, green grapes, orange segments, and sliced bananas, with vanilla yogurt.  I took a brief siesta after lunch while Dave and the kids watched a movie.  Dave bought several today.  Lizet came in and cuddled with me awhile, then I got up to watch more movies with them. La Nana Magíca 2 was one we watched (Nanny McPhee).  I told the children I was going to wash my hair. Lizet wanted to help, so she ran downstairs with the bucket to fill with warm water from the kitchen.  I had no idea what she was doing at the time, but she came back and draped my shoulders in a towel and gently pushed my head in the sink, applied my coconut shampoo and lathered me up.  Then rinsed with the warm water.  She told me to wait because she had to run back downstairs for more water since we have no running water in the evenings upstairs.  And if we do, it’s freezing.  She then wanted me to sit on the sofa while she brushed my hair.  She ran to her room for her comb and using the comb, measured straight up my nose to the part and parted my hair down the middle.  She also lifted the small space heater to help dry my hair, but I told her that wasn’t necessary.  Then, she remembered my black headband - they wear headbands a lot - and put it on me.  Next, she brought my lipstick and applied it; okay, so this wasn’t the best look.  But, she was getting me ready for church.  I thought it was absolutely precious.  Dave came back with hot dog makings; I think the franks were chicken.  We also had sweet potato chips.  Xavier wanted to say the blessing and began, crossing himself, saying “in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost”… except, in Spanish.  Dave and I could catch the phrases about thanking God for his family.  He is precious, as well.  We are so blessed to have such wonderful children.  All three love mayonnaise, ketchup, and mustard on their hot dogs.  Lizet adds chips to hers.  Since it is Saturday night, we told them that only on Saturdays they are allowed to stay up until 10 p.m.  During the week it’s 9 p.m.  Later, we will have ice cream and watch another movie.  And then… bedtime!  Angela voluntarily went to bed first.  Lizet wanted Xavier to sleep with her, so he is in there cuddling right now.  We hear them whispering, so Dave went to see what is going on… Lizet was holding the flashlight, while Xavier is reading her a book.  Our family is safe and happy... and complete.             

No comments:

Post a Comment