Inca Kola: A popular drink in Peru, but not one of my favorites. This is a yellow drink that tastes like cream soda and smells like bubble gum.
This morning, Lizet said the prayer over breakfast, beginning in English, “in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit…” We had cereal, fresh fruit, and yogurt. We hailed a taxi for church, Cristo Redentor. We arrived a little early, so the children wanted to stay outside, waiting for their friends to arrive from San Jose. We took our seats, but our children wanted to sit with their friends, so we let them. I know in their hearts and minds, they are counting down the last days to be with their friends. They sat a couple rows in front of us, but occasionally looked back and smiled at us. Once when Lizet looked back, Dave leaned over and asked me why Lizet’s face was so white… she apparently raided my makeup. We found my lipstick and lip gloss in her purse later. It was a beautiful church service, and surprisingly was more understandable than expected. We’re hearing so much Spanish, that the service practically sounded English to us. We were introduced to the church as the adoptive parents to Xavier, Angela, and Lizet. Peruvians are such accepting, loving, and gracious people. Their applause accompanied with “ahs” brought tears to my eyes. The bittersweet moment arrived… it seems we are experiencing a lot of those. Their half-sister, Milagros, was at church. We were glad to meet her, and I think the children were pleased to have a “blessing” of sorts from her. I know they want to be with us, but hearing it’s “okay” from their elder sister, was reassuring - although at the same time, emotional. Milagros and the children share the same biological mother and after her passing, Milagros tried hard to raise them, but the Peruvian life in Arequipa is a hard one. She had to do something quite difficult years ago, by allowing Casa Hogar San Jose to raise them. She was tearful and grateful that we are adopting the children. There were many tears from the children and the new parents. She expressed to them, as Sandy translated, that we are giving them an opportunity they wouldn’t have otherwise. Education, health, and happiness are all important. She wants to see them again one day and see what kinds of professionals they have become. She talked with them a long while and there were some words of comfort, received. I took a photograph of the four of them, so they will always remember their older sister. We have exchanged contact information with her so we will stay in touch after a few years because as of now, the courts have advised a termination of contact with her so they can adapt to their new lives with us. She has a small child and wants to finish nursing school. She will remain in our prayers.
We were also able to hug and kiss the children from Casa Hogar Sagrada Familia. This is the orphanage for the older children. Although I had never met these children at the orphanages, I felt like I knew them all through various pictures from Dave’s previous mission trips. I knew them by name. Their beautiful hearts show through their smiles.
For lunch, we reheated what Naty made for us yesterday: chicken and rice. This is not a casserole; it is simply a piece of chicken, lightly seasoned with salt and pepper, on top of green rice. Dave bought some Arequipan bread that is similar to baguette bread. We slathered butter all over it! After lunch, the kids watched more television and Dave took Lizet to the market for more food, a game, Operando (Operation), which is a lot different than the one in the States, and cookies; chocolate, of course.
I attempted to blog at Sandy and Gloria’s, but no luck with the Internet connection, tonight. I will try again tomorrow. I arrived around dinnertime, and the children were hiding behind the door and the curtains to surprise me - or scare me, I’m not sure. But more hugs occurred, so I guess they were glad I was home. For dinner, we had homemade chicken noodle soup, prepared by Naty, and bread with butter. The noodles were broken spaghetti pieces and the soup was flavored with cloves. After dinner, we played Operando. We then watched Garfield. By the time it was over, it was time for bed. Angela goes to bed and gets up without being told. So, off she was, getting ready for bed and climbing under the covers. I kissed her goodnight and told her I loved her. Lizet wanted to sleep with Xavier tonight, so she was in bed with him while he read her another story. They fell asleep. Dave rolled the television into our room to watch Old Dogs, in English, naturally. I think it would have been just as bad in any other language. Hasta luego…
No comments:
Post a Comment