Dave and I woke up around 7:00 this morning, preparing to meet Maria and Raul, and to go to MIMDES (Ministerio de la Mujer y Desarrollo Social) to discuss our time frame, then to City Hall to order their birth certificates, then to Casa Hogar San Jose. Dave and I signed documents for their new names: Xavier David Nelson Stepp, Angela Alexandra Nelson Stepp, and Lizet Yojana Nelson Stepp (Peruvian-style). Once in the States, we will drop my name (insert sad face, here). It sounds like we will be in Arequipa for roughly three weeks, but only in Lima for five days. We spend three semi-observed days with the children. Then on the 4th day, we will have them in our care. Twice, a social worker will check on them. Our resolution day is “adoption day”, the day we sign the adoption papers. This will take place on August 2nd, then there is a day of silence on the 3rd, and on the 4th we get the new birth certificates. Their birth certificates will be ready in two days and are only 60 soles (S./10.00), but we had to order two copies for each. Sixty soles is equivalent to $21.50 total.
Today was our first full day with our children. It was wonderful! Writing that just doesn’t do it justice. We picked them up from the orphanage after signing the name change document. Betty made their appointments for the doctor for tomorrow. This is just a basic physical to state they are leaving Arequipa healthy. Once Maria, Raul, Betty, Dave, the children and I hailed a couple taxis, we came to our house. Betty, Maria and Raul observed us awhile, but then left to give us time together. The girls were still very clingy; Xavier, as well, but in different ways. Where the girls loop their arms through mine, Xavier would sit close, laying his head on my shoulder. At one point they were so excited to see a television, I had to turn it on for them. They watched a 30-minute cartoon in Spanish and were pleased beyond measure. Lizet would flit here and there looking at things, but would go back to the cartoon. She was fascinated by this foot stool that was under a table, and grabbed it so she could prop up her feet… my little diva. We are all communicating quite well… it’s amazing. Angela wants to know all the things I cook and is impressed I’m a teacher. They are even helpful with correcting our verb conjugations, or asking how to say something in English. I also ask them for the words in Spanish. Xavier and Lizet practice their English a lot. They are always saying “thank you”. It sounds so American, too. Naty made us hamburguesas con queso y avocado today. She has cooked for Americans for over twelve years, so she knows how to cook for them. For example, when making salads, she washes everything in bottled water, lets it drain, then rinses it again. She even made homemade papas fritas. I noticed after our prayer, they all crossed themselves. Perhaps, I will adopt that habit in the future… I’ll do anything for our kids. They were extremely quiet during the meal, and immediately helped take everything to the kitchen. I glossed the girls’ lips, along with mine before going out. We went to Plaza de Armas to shop for some Peruvian artifacts; Xavier passed on the flutes, but went straight to the chess sets. Dave bought him one almost identical to the one he has in his office. For this trip, I carry a small square-shaped purse that has a long strap. I wear it diagonally across my body and keep the purse in front, for safety. Dave asked me to ask them if they were at all interested in touring more of Peru, like going to Colca Canyon, but they immediately declined. Even a tour of Arequipa before leaving wasn't too interesting, but they are willing, so perhaps that will be on our agenda. The girls both spotted a purse like mine, Peruvian, of course, in different colors. It has a long strap too, so they put it on just like mine, across their bodies. They wanted to look like their mamita. I almost lost it. We left to go get ice cream. They all wanted chocolate, including their madre. Their padre got un café de Americana. We met with Maria and Raul at the fountain in the center of Plaza de Armas. A man in a wheelchair with a bad leg was doing sketches of people. He did a beautiful sketch of our children, which I will place in a black frame when we get home. Raul took many pictures of us (eight are needed in the first three days, eight more in the next week and double copies – these are required to go in our file for the adoption) and then we had them developed. The kids were very tired. The last thing we did was tour the Catedral in the square. We visited the very tiny gift shop and Angela chose a crucifix for me to wear… okay, I think I’ll wear it. Raul took a family picture of us in front of the fountain. We returned the children to San Jose and hugged and kissed buenas noches. Dave held a taxi door open for me as the kids came rushing back out into the dark, only to be stopped by the locked gate, holding the bars, saying “Mami” and “Madre Emily”… I ran back… they wanted more kisses… through the bars.
Oh Emily!!!!!! So WONDERFUL!!! I'm in tears just reading about it!!! (Happy ones of course!!!) We love you and love your kids already!!!! Your posts are so beautiful!! It's so great to hear how well they have become adjusted in just hours to you, it was meant to be!!! Love love it!!! And LOVING that the girls want to be like their momma!!(and perhaps a furture purse obession??? :) )
ReplyDeleteI am so happy for you!! Oh gosh, happy tears, happy tears! I love the girls with their handbags like Mama's. Just so beautiful to see. You were all so obviously meant to be together. So glad you're writing it all down. These memories will be priceless for the children and your future grandchildren! A thousand kisses to all of you! xxx
ReplyDeleteThose of us who get to travel this journey with you via the emails/blogs are so blessed! I have cried at every reading and give thanks to God for it. I love the idea that Angela bought a crucifix cross for you ... a reminder of a love so great that the ultimate price was paid ... I see you and Dave also understanding a love so great that you too would do anything for your kids too. What a beautiful answer to so many prayers. We continue to pray for all of you.
ReplyDeleteHugs and love,
Tia Toni
Thank you for posting all of your memories and moments! LOVE it!! What precious children and obviously they love you already! The purse story is adorable of course, and reading about everything that you all are doing keeps me checking to see what new adventures you are having. Miss ya and can't wait to meet your kids!!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh - this is so incredible. I told a co-worker about your story and she said you both have huge hearts. These kids are sooo lucky.
ReplyDeleteHave fun in Peru and enjoy your new babies.
I just can't even imagine the joy that you and Dave are going through. Dave knows how each time we spend time with these kiddos that we are heartbroken at the end of the week because we have to say goodbye. What a blessing that they get to come home with you!!!! I can't help but cry happy tears of joy each time I read your updates. What a blessing!! Happy Dance! Happy Dance! Tia Michelle :)
ReplyDeleteI love it!!! My heart is filled to the brim hearing your stories! What an awesome love story this. I just love every bit of it. Can't wait to read more! (Can I say "love" any more?!) =) Tia Rachael (Raquel)
ReplyDelete