Dave and I had a meeting this morning at 8:30 with Rocio at SNA, so we left the children sleeping while Cornelia watered the plants and sprayed the patio. We arrived at her office a bit early, but we were able to begin right away. She explained to us briefly what we would be doing. We left together, got a taxi, and traveled about five minutes to the municipal building to have the official adoption paperwork stamped and registered in Arequipa. We then traveled to City Hall to request their new birth certificates. We ordered 15; five for each children. Hopefully, they will be ready on Friday for us to sign. According to Rocio, they will be ready. We were finished in an hour. We said our farewell to Rocio for today as she will take care of other things for us tomorrow. Dave and I walked to the bank to retrieve more money for the week, then, we caught a taxi to take us home. Driving through neighborhoods, I am amazed how content people are with such simplicity. It bothers me that there are small children selling candy when they should be in school. It upsets me that there doesn’t seem to be enough food or adequate housing for these Arequipans, and yet they’re content with life. One of the things, only a touch further down the list, is seeing a great need for an SPCA. Saying that, I do realize it is not the most important need in Arequipa. But, if you’re an animal lover like me, it would break your heart to see the stray dogs (and a few cats) wandering the streets. I’ve noticed they usually travel in pairs. They are filthy and panting. Some have fallen asleep on sidewalks and I wonder if they’re breathing. Who feeds these animals, I wonder? Dave and I arrived home to sleeping children. By the time we had breakfast they seemed ravenous. They normally have a healthy appetite for a morning meal, but today was quite different. After gobbling down their cereal and request for scrambled eggs, Cornelia prepared them each a fried egg sandwich. They also had their juice and yogurt. Dave and I took a taxi to a different part of town since, as you may recall, I’m in dire need of a haircut. The side of the street we exited the cab, caused us to walk up a flight of stairs and walk across the bridge over traffic, then down again. We found a salon called, Gala. I got a cute haircut; a shoulder-length bob with bangs… I think I’ll call it: The Arequipan. Then, we went to Plaza Vea and purchased Xavier a three-pack of socks, since we just realized he’s been wearing the same pair he owns for over a week. We also got Lizet a pack of jumbo crayons, and Angela a pack of pens. You’d think I had handed them each a $100 bill! We had leftover hamburgers and chips for lunch. Angela is fascinated with cheese that is individually wrapped in plastic. They’re not too accustomed to eating processed foods, so she found it quite weird. She calls it queso plástico. The kids watched cartoons this afternoon while Dave and I took shifts, napping. After awaking, I played a couple games of Uno with Xavier and Lizet. Then, Xavier proceeded to play his marble game. Lizet left for a moment, I thought to get a drink. But then, I hear the zapping noise the gas stove makes when you turn it on. I raced down the stairs to find her grilling bread in a bit of oil. I told her to never cook without her mamí or papí. I finished grilling her snack for her and took it up to her. She shared it with all of us. Thank goodness the gas stove makes a clicking sound! And thank goodness we don’t have one. Dinner was more leftovers; soup, sandwiches, macaroni and cheese with ground beef, and chips. For dessert, I found a small orange pound cake at Plaza Vea, which they loved. They are now watching a Scooby-Doo cartoon and at 8 p.m. we will watch their favorite program, which has become my favorite program, Al Fondo hay Sitio. When it ends at 9:00, they will go to bed. Thankfully, Xavier made it through the night in his own bed; although, it wasn’t an easy night. He would sleep for a couple hours, then be up for an hour, and so on. The music and headphones helped settle his nerves at times, but once he wanted me to lay with him, and then at 2:30 a.m., he knocked on our door and wanted Dave to lay with him. I told him this morning how proud I was of him and how tonight would be much easier. He grinned and nodded, but then looked puzzled, like “I have to do this again?” Yes, son, you do.
No comments:
Post a Comment