Friday, August 27, 2010

Registrations and Inoculations

My children are enrolled!  I woke up the children at 8:00 and they rapidly put on their clothes for the day, brushed their hair and teeth, and popped on their shoes.  We left, heading for Madison Middle School where we had an appointment with the registrar.  She was amazed I had everything filled out correctly and had all the necessary paperwork.  Of course, I've actually maintained her position in an elementary school, so I was ahead of the game in that regard. So, the process was quick as far as enrolling.  We also received bus passes for Xavier and Angela, received a tour of the school; their classes are clustered in the same area of the building by grade, and they even had a chance to practice operating their lockers.  They were each given their class schedule and an agenda notebook.  In addition, the ELL teacher gave each of them a hand-held translator.  They have already been speaking more English just today!  I've never seen Angela so excited!  Since our time at Madison was a bit longer than expected,  we ventured on to Sonic for some hamburgers and tater tots.  After lunch, we visited Ranch Heights, enrolling Lizet. Everyone has been so wonderful and helpful in the Bartlesville school system, thus far.  After our day of registration concluded, we went home for some television and then prepared for our next activity out:  more vaccinations.  In Peru, there were some shots the doctor felt the children are too young to accept, while in the States the schools require.  I have little patience for employees in government offices, by the way.  The woman who was "helping" us get in the system was asking about the children's ages.  I whipped out their birth certificates (in case she needed proof) and she says to me... "Well, I don't see any vaccinations they've had at all."   I say, (a bit sternly, I think) "Those are their birth certificates."  Then, I produced their shot records from Peru to help clarify.  Too bad there wasn't an interpreter there because apparently the vaccines were difficult to read.  I didn't have any trouble, and I'm not fluent in Spanish.  Anyway... We waited a bit longer since the computer wasn't cooperating.  We finally see the nurse who eventually came back after getting approval for the vaccines.  So, Angela and Xavier received the Hepatitis A, and the Polio vaccines, while Lizet received those in addition to her Tetanus, which stung quite a bit since a bit of wailing commenced. After a day of vaccines, I'm the kind of mother who makes a trip to Braum's afterwards.  I told them it was a double-dip day, so they each chose chocolate and strawberry for their waffle cones.  While eating their ice cream, Xavier suggested I show them the town's cemetery. Okay... He proceeded to tell me about the cemetery in Arequipa where there are legends of "terror".  I assured him there is nothing like that in Bartlesville. We drove around one of our cemeteries and the girls were commenting on the pretty flowers and statues, when Xavier asks, "Will I be here when I die?"  I told him if he made that decision, but Mamí and Papí would be there long before he would.  He turned to me with this look of horror on his face and informed me that I would never die.  Oh, okay.  We returned home, playing with Fletcher and watching another program. Dave came home and we had leftovers from the previous two nights.  The kids played outside while Dave and I prepared dinner.  After a fun and talkative meal, we headed to Wal-Mart to buy school supplies, lunch makings for the week, and a few miscellaneous things.  Xavier spent some of his money on a World Wide Wrestling poster for above his bed.  Lizet spent some of hers on a pink pretend phone.  Angela is opting to save.  When we came home, we unloaded groceries and Dave mentioned tonight's movie would be X-Men.  While "attempting" to have some alone time, I started running the bath.  I closed the bedroom door and the bathroom door, was in the bathroom on the toilet, half-dressed and in walks my girls to ask me a question.  Really?  Oh yes, really!  Lizet then took some fake pictures of me with her pretend phone - thank goodness it's fake!  I asked the girls to give mommy some privacy and they did, only for Lizet to return once I was in the tub, to feed me popcorn (and take another "picture").  But, I did thank Dave for my mommy time.       

No comments:

Post a Comment