Wednesday, August 25, 2010
English Proficiency Test
We had one of the more popular breakfast choices this morning: an egg sandwich. Angela likes strawberry milk with her well-done egg. After a late breakfast, the kids made their beds and showered/bathed, getting ready for the day. We met with the ELL (English Language Learners, as opposed to ESL: English as a Second Language) team at Madison Middle School so the kids could take their English Proficiency test. They measured 1.0 on a 1.0-6.0 scale, which is not unusual. In some instances, a child may have been back and forth with Spanish and English -speaking family members and know more; therefore, they begin with a higher level workbook. While they were testing, I visited the Social Security office to see what I need to request their social security cards. It turns out, they need their Green Card to process a social security card. Fortunately, the school doesn't need a social security card immediately, to enroll them. So, after discussing their ages and abilities, I discovered our children are in 4th, 6th, and 7th grades. I was able to meet the counselors at the middle school, as well. I'm pleased with the help I received at Ranch Heights Elementary, also. Lizet is excited she will be at a school without her siblings. The ELL teacher let us borrow the LeapFrog learning booklets and kits. We went home and the children had Chocolate Brownie ice cream - Blue Bell, of course. The kids watched The Hunchback of Notre Dame while Angela busily worked on her LeapFrog machine. Xavier had worked on it when hitting the door. I popped in a casserole a friend from Dave's office prepared for us... three hours later... done. We had the poppy seed chicken casserole, fruit, and rolls. They played in the backyard for a little while after dinner. Then - the big moment - Dave decided to mow, giving each one a ride several times around. The kids were cheering on one another; Lizet yelled out to Xavier... "Xavier, buena suerte" which means, good luck. Each one watched the other, then Angela was corralling Fletcher, saying "good boy" in pretty good English. Lizet has picked up my line of, "Come on, Baby" when calling Fletcher, except she says, "Come on, Bebé." Next, the kids tidied up their rooms, put on their pajamas, and Lizet discovered a black dot on the underside of her foot. It was a blood blister, but Xavier insisted it was cancer. I said, "It's not cancer." But he kept saying it. Dave helped pop it, while Xavier and I held Lizet. Lizet was brave, and then said, "Cancer.” I said, "It's NOT cancer!" They are now in bed listening to music while relieved they are cancer-free.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment