Friday, August 6, 2010

Farewell, Tía Kym!

Every morning we experience a man with a megaphone riding his cart down our street, singing a ditty about needing old clothes.  I haven’t quite figured out if these clothes are for him, or for others in need; but nonetheless, I’ve learned his song. 

Cornelia arrived around 9:30 as the children were having breakfast, and Dave and I were getting ready to leave to meet with Rocio at SNA.  We needed to sign a few more papers and receive our original final adoption papers.  We then walked together to a store to have copies made for María and Raúl when we go to Lima.  While I stood with Rocio, Dave went to a store down the street to purchase a book for each of the children.  Xavier had requested it, but we weren’t sure exactly what he wanted; we just knew the girls had chimed in asking for it as well.  The book is entitled, Mitos and Leyendas de Arequipa, by Pablo Nicoli Segura.  The man at the copier place knew and directed Dave.  Next, we returned to City Hall to request five more original birth certificates for each child, as we needed more than had been suggested.  They should be ready for us to sign tomorrow, even though it will be a Saturday.  We checked our e-mails while at Plaza de Armas and then hailed a taxi to Franco’s.  Franco’s is a small supermarket that is clean, well stocked, and organized.  We went to buy lettuce and beans for Cornelia since she was planning to make tacos for lunch.  I immediately eyed some chocolate covered meringue cookies.  They are similar to pinwheel cookies in the States.  We left Franco’s and arrived home to find the children downstairs.  Dave unloaded groceries for Cornelia, and I gave the books to Dave to distribute.  He handed Xavier his first, asking him if that’s what he wanted and he jumped towards me with a strong hug, all three of them to be exact.  Dave gave me this look like… I gave him the book…  what just happened?  Shortly after, Xavier asked for a pen and swiftly wrote his name neatly in the front cover of his book.  He also told me, as we shook pinkies, that he would read his book of “terror” in his bed tonight, solo.  He’s made it three nights alone in his room, by the way.  

Lunch was delicious as usual.  Our children LOVE guacamole!  Thank goodness!!  Flour tortillas were lightly fried, so they could be folded.  Angela copied me and made a burrito.  Xavier likes to eat all the ingredients mixed up without the tortilla.  And Lizet, eats everything she gets her hands on… like I’ve said before… we don’t know where it goes.  I passed around the box of meringues for dessert and everyone had one.  Angela’s favorite drink is Kola Escocesa.  It’s a red-tinted cola, which according to Padre Juan Carlos tastes similar to a cherry-flavored Dr Pepper.  Personally, I taste more cherry than anything.  Dave thinks it tastes like cough syrup.    

Dave went for a haircut while I stayed with the children and watched some of their favorite afternoon shows.  Shortly after Dave returned, we made dinner plans to have a meal with Kym before she left to return to the United States.  So, we planned on Norky’s with Kym, Sandy, and Gloria. 

Norky’s is a kid-friendly chicken restaurant.  They specialize in rotisserie chicken.  Kid-friendly because they have an inside play area.  Most of us chose the combo; a large roasted chicken breast with French fries, a side salad, drink, and dessert.  This was all a $6 meal.  The prices have amazed us!  I kept eyeing Xavier and Lizet to see if Lizet wanted any more food that Xavier was willing to sacrifice.  Last night at Brunno’s, we told Xavier he could have the last piece and Lizet looked at him sadly.  So, without anything said, Xavier took his knife and sliced his pizza down the middle and put half of it on Lizet’s plate.  Some of the cheese had pulled off in the process of cutting it, and he gave her all the cheese, as well.  I told him he is such a good brother.  He smiled. 

We said our goodbyes outside as Sandy put Kym and the five of us in different taxis, giving the drivers directions for us, and we left.  But not until the man with balloons gave Lizet the ones he either gave, out of the goodness of his heart, or because he was tired of working for the night.  I sat with the children in the back seat with Lizet on my lap, facing me with her head against my chest, watching the traffic and repeating, “combis, combis combis”.  Combis are run-down-looking mini vans with side doors.  People are crammed inside – I mean CRAMMED… you can’t see through to the other side.  And people are usually hanging out the door; I’ve actually seen these vans only slow down to let people on or off.  Xavier even glanced over and said, “muchas personas” and Lizet nodded, sleepily. 

When we got home, the kids got ready for bed.  Angela got out of her funk after I gave her some big smooches on her neck.  She really doesn’t like to leave the house.  So, even going out to eat isn’t too exciting.  We gave Xavier and Lizet permission to read together for a little while.  He’s back in his bed, now.  I hope they all have sweet dreams.                            

No comments:

Post a Comment