Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Day of Silence

Today is our “day of silence” which is not to suggest I have mandated a “no talking” day with the children.  It is a legal term of sorts, which enables someone to refute the adoption.  No worries, though.  Everything is fine.  This was probably created for the one-in-a-million case where there was an issue of some kind.  Similar I think, to those strange unheard of side effects you read on the warnings of a prescription. 

We had our typical morning.  After breakfast, Naty arrived to begin laundry, and Dave and I left for Plaza de Armas for Dave to check the Internet, and for me to call my mother.  We also went shopping for more souvenirs.  Since I skipped breakfast this morning, I was feeling peckish, so Dave and I stopped at Capriccio for a bite.  I had a small plate of guacamole and chips.  The chips were shaped like tortilla chips, but were actually wontons.  The guacamole was excellent!  Dave had a mini sandwich and we both had cold cokes.  Normally, when ordering a meal at Capriccio, in addition to your ordered drink, they bring you a shot glass of hot apple cider, but not today.  Perhaps it’s because we chose an appetizer.  S/15.00 was the total cost, equivalent to about $6.00.  After this much needed snack, we did a little more shopping. 

We headed home to find the girls helping Naty scrub the laundry.  Xavier vacuumed for us.  We understand they are used to chores, but they don’t just seem used to them, they seem to really enjoy them.  Last night they automatically turned off the television at 9:00 without being told and began getting ready for bed.  After having a spaghetti lunch with Naty, the children helped clear the table as usual, and proceeded to finish their paused movie.  Dave and I went for a walk.  I found a salon across the street - I’m in dire need of a haircut.  I also noticed they offer 1-hour massages for S/25.00 – that’s about 9 dollars!  I’m booking that, as well! 

We had a nice dinner of homemade cheeseburgers and potato chips.  Dave made a pineapple Kool-Aid-type drink.  The kids loved it!  They really enjoy fruit-flavored drinks.  Speaking of drinks, last night Xavier mixed regular coke with Inca Kola and called it a cerveza.  I’m thinking… great, I have a 13-year-old already interested in mixing drinks!  Sometimes at the table, one will want to “experiment” with flavors.  For instance, one day Angela added mustard to her causa de pollo.  It was actually good, tasted like potato salad.  She gave me the thumbs up!  I concurred. 

Sometimes, these children look out for us.  Last night, we were having dinner and the doorbell rang.  We weren’t expecting anyone and it was getting dark.  Xavier tells Dave to ask who it is before opening the door.  I thought that was cute and felt reassured that when at home, they will use caution in various situations.  Even though we have a peephole, and we’re locked up like Fort Knox, Dave said, “Okay.”  Someone just had the wrong house.  

We need more of Cornelia’s chicken and rice soup.  I learned through the children that what I thought was potatoes in her soup, (which I didn’t care for at first) was actually yucca.  She also had included large yellow corn kernels, which tasted like hominy.  Another ingredient I’ve never been fond of, but happened to enjoy in this soup.  She had supplied us each with a chicken thigh in the soup, as well. 

When smiling for pictures here, you say “whiskey.”  The kids love cameras!  

Well, I’m hoping for another “I love you” in English tonight.  Last night, Dave and I got two in English – Xavier and Lizet.  Angela shows it in so many ways, but she’s also the most mature and I guess she’s just not there, yet.  But that’s okay.  We’ve got plenty of time.  But we’re going to keep saying it!  

Xavier is in his own bed tonight… pray he stays there.    

 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment