After showers and breakfast, we headed to Cristo Redentor via taxi, our usual modus operandi. Today’s Sunday service featured Bishop Godfrey delivering the sermon and performing confirmation blessings. Unfortunately, Dave had to take me home a little early, since I wasn’t feeling well. On our ride home, we witnessed children in the intersection trying to earn some money. In front of our taxi, a 7-year-old boy was doing cartwheels and back flips and then walked over to Dave’s open window with his hand out. Across the street, a young girl was balancing bowling pins on her hands while on a unicycle. It seems there’s never a dull moment in Arequipa. After Dave let me in safely, I drank a bottle of water, slept for an hour, and was awakened by my three children’s kisses. By this time, I felt 100 percent! For lunch Dave prepared spaghetti and the meatballs he prepared the night before. We had fruit for dessert. The children are all excellent fruit and vegetable eaters; Angela isn’t fond of beans, though. After lunch, the kids watched television for a couple hours, Dave went to run errands and get groceries, and Angela was content working in the garden, watering the grass and plants. She also made a pot of coffee for Papí upon his return. While Dave was gone, Angela made a pallet on the tile floor in the living room out of throw pillows and listened to music. Xavier, Lizet, and I played in the backyard - American football, tumbling, and marbles. While Xavier was demonstrating his marble game, one rolled under the garage door. Of course, I couldn’t get out since Dave locks the gate to the front door when he leaves, so I was standing at the gate waiting for passers-by to ask them to hand me my son’s marble. The security guard across the street came to our rescue. While waiting for assistance, Lizet attempted to climb what appeared to be a tree, but was so brambly I don’t know why it was of any interest. Once Dave arrived, we began to prepare leftovers. Xavier and Angela wanted lomo saltado with rice and Lizet wanted a sandwich. Well, Xavier wanted a sandwich, as well. Dave and I split the causa de pollo. Our evening meal included a discussion about Halloween in the United States. They are quite excited about it - Angela for parties, Xavier, costumes, and Lizet, chocolate. Xavier informed us that Lizet doesn’t need a mask. Lizet of course, laughed while she rambled off a retort in Spanish. (Why is it that children sound cuter in a foreign language?) After dinner, we watched The Mummy, in the dark with popcorn. Lizet wanted Inca Kola in a sippy cup. They are now in bed, chit-chatting and giggling. The girls were complaining about Xavier’s feet earlier; the next thing I know, Lizet is spraying his feet with air freshener. I have a feeling their mamá is about to make another appearance.
No comments:
Post a Comment